- Under the direction of the Dean, Academic Information Services, the Library provides instructional support services to faculty, staff, and students. Library materials and electronic services and access are provided in support of the instructional program.
- The library does not purchase textbooks, workbooks, or study guides. If an instructor wishes to place on reserve a copy of materials being used as a text, the instructor is responsible for acquiring said material.
- Except for reference materials and those with heavy and continued use, materials will not be duplicated at both campuses.
- Electronic resources, including databases and e-books, provide valuable information that supports the MiraCosta College curriculum and complements the materials currently collected by the college library. Remote access to all electronic resources will be made available to current students, faculty, and staff of the college with a valid SURF identification number and password. This attribute supports and enhances MiraCosta's goals to provide distance education and to blend technology with learning. Selection of all electronic resources will be made in accordance with MiraCosta College's Guidelines for Selecting and Discarding Materials.
- Interlibrary loan transactions will be analyzed for future purchases.
- The librarian on the Courses and Programs Committee will work directly with the faculty developing new courses and programs, ensuring that at the inception of the new curricula, sufficient materials for student success will be in place in the collection.
Reference: MiraCosta Community College District
Manual of Administrative Procedures
Article VII: Academic Affairs VIIA-07